I am 6 months pregnant and in the past few weeks I’ve noticed that my vagina is swollen. What causes a puffy swollen vagina during pregnancy?
It has also started to get very itchy, enough to wake me up at night. I started use wipes to clean myself but nothing seems to be helping. I haven’t asked my doc yet but I will at my next appointment.
There is an increase in blood flow to the area during pregnancy, as well as huge hormonal changes. All of this can cause swelling, itching or varicose veins in the vulva.
Here are some tips which might help:
- Keep it cool and dry.
- Do not wear any tight or synthetic clothes.
- Wear only cotton panties or no panties at all (obviously only when it is safe to do so).
- Wash well in all the folds with normal water and your fingers.
- Pat yourself dry whenever you get wet down there.
- Use ice packs covered in towels to cool it down and bring down the swelling.
- Sit with your legs open to allow air to circulate (also only when it is safe to do so!).